Self care and mental health is incredibly important to me. Everyone has had their lows and their highs but it’s always hard to get past and forget about those lows. They are what make or break you.
Personally, I have been there. I have had the lowest of lows. I’ve had a team of really important and positive people help me. It’s ALWAYS okay to ask and receive help! Whether that’s advice or therapy! I’m a big advocate for therapy and believe that everyone should be in therapy at least once in their lives.
I found this on tumblr a while ago and saved it. It’s very helpful and extremely on point.
- Eat well – Remember that food is for nourishment! It’s okay to celebrate with it from time to time but it’s primary purpose is to fuel your body. It has taken me a long time to realize that because I, myself, am a foodie and come from a big family that celebrates by eating! I’m very new to the Atkins diet, and it’s really helped me stay full and get the nutrients that works best for me personally.
- Sleep!!!! – Be on a routine. Stick to it. The body needs sleep to recharge and reset as well as your mind! Poor sleep is linked to physical problems like weakened immune systems and mental health such as anxiety and depression. This is the most important element for me!
- Water & Fresh Juices – I already talked about how much I drink water in my previous post about skincare. Not only is water good for your skin, but it’s essential for your body to have! Your body is roughly 60% water. It is beneficial and maintains the fluid balance in your body as well as transports nutrients throughout your body, regulates body temperature, digests food, and so much more! I have to have water with me all the time. I drink it constantly! I am not big on juices just because of the calories and carbs involved but it is a great source for vitamins!
- Bath time – I live in my bathtub. I try to take at least two hot baths with epsom salt a week. It’s super relaxing and feels really good to my joints and muscles. It’s a good time to reflect and disconnect from technology. I haven’t tried it with coconut oil yet but that’s definitely on my list of things to do! I’m sure my skin would appreciate that!
- Meditate – This is something I’m so terrible at but I am working on it. My best friend, Anja, is so good at this and always gives me tips and apps to download to help encourage me to get back to it. It’s so good for the mind, body, and soul. The advantages of meditation are: slowing of aging (I NEED THAT), self-awareness, improves concentrate, reduces stress, and so much more. That’s totally a list that’s good enough for me to try and work this into my everyday life.
- Workout – This is so difficult for me personally. By the time I am done with my work day, I am completely exhausted. I will definitely try to incorporate this into my daily routine along with meditation. The benefits of working out are boosting happiness, improving sleep, helping to achieve goals, increase confidence, and improves memory!
- Journaling – This is something I am so passionate about. Journaling is simply writing down your thoughts, dreams, and goals. It’s like the blueprint of building a house. The blueprint of YOU! It definitely helps me gain control of my thoughts and emotions. Although I don’t physically get a pen and paper, I love to type out my thought in the notes app of my iPhone. My thoughts move so fast that I can’t physically keep up with a pen. I also have a self-improvement book that came with a companion guide to write along as I read through it! My sweet aunt bought this for me and it is great. I just started it and it is super in depth and will make you think about a lot! It’s called “You Can Heal Your Life” by Louise L Hay. It also comes with a meditation book that I can honestly tell you I haven’t cracked open YET but I will after researching the benefits. Definitely check it out.
- Face mask n Chill – This is one of my favorite things to do! Refer to my last post about skin care to get my routine as well as what I use for a mask! I am a sucker for Lush face masks as well! The RIGHT face mask for you will pull out impurities, reduce the size of your pores, as well as hydrate skin and remove excess oils!
- Slow down & be present – I’m going to combine these because I feel like they go hand in hand! I believe that everything on this list will help you achieve this. Take some “me” time! Disappear from a girls night out and have a self care night! AND spend time with your friends and family! Put your phone down! Life is short. Always tell people you care about that you love them. Be there for one another! Be KIND to one another.
- Read more books – I feel like no one reads anymore! WHY?! It improves comprehension skills as well as verbal/writing skills! It also reduces stress; allowing your brain to focus on one thing! I love it. I moved away from fictional books and more towards self help/motivational books just because that’s what I’m interested in at the moment. If you don’t have the time to stop and read, download Audible on your smart phone or iPhone. It’s a great way to get some book time in! I made a goal to read 12 books this year. One for each month. What are you currently reading? What’s on your list to read? Comment below!
- Worry less, enjoy life more & follow your dreams – Chase your dreams. Take risks! Live life to the fullest. Be kind to yourself. Be kind to others. Love one another.
Don’t lose your sparkle. Don’t lose your glow. Don’t lose yourself. And if you ever feel lost; just know that you can find yourself again. I did!
Subscribe to my blog below by entering in your e-mail! Comment thoughts as well!