Depression is so real. Life isn’t always rainbows and butterflies. I feel like everyone has their moments. I know I do. Times when you can hardly get out of bed and the thought of making yourself presentable to the public makes you cringe. You just want to cancel the rest of the week and sleep your problems away.
Here’s a good start to getting out of your funk.
- Feet on the floor. Get up. Don’t just lay there. It will make it worse. I know it may seem like it feels better to just close your eyes and sleep it away but keeping yourself isolated will make the downward spiral seem to keep going.
- Take a shower. This will stimulate your senses. This will make you get a little pep back in your step.
- Play your favorite upbeat music! I usually do this while I’m in the shower and getting ready for my day.
- Put on something comfortable BUT something that makes you feel good about yourself. You’re in a slump, you don’t have to look like one.
- Get out into the sunlight! Sunlight provides us with Vitamin D which is linked to mood!
- Surround yourself with positive people. This is a time when you don’t need people to make you feel bad about yourself (but should you even ever allow that?!). For me, being around friends, just watching tv or talking helps. I even go over to my parents just to get out of my house and sit out in their backyard for a while and let the dogs run around.
- Stay on a schedule. Your body reacts positively to a set rhythm. A routine. Even on the weekends. Get up at the same time you would during the weekdays. Make plans and stick to them. Keep busy.
I hope this helped! I’m not a professional but I can speak from experience. Everyone is different though. Also, have someone that will hold you accountable for your actions. A close friend. For me, it’s my dad. All my friends always see him calling my phone. But he’s checking on me and making sure I’m doing what I’m supposed to do.
If anyone is having episodes of depression, definitely seek out a local therapist and/or psychiatrist.
What helps you pick yourself up when you’re down?? Comment below.